Dr Tony Xia and Aston Villa Football Club (“the Club”) announce that NSWE, a company that is jointly owned and controlled by businessman Nassef Sawiris’ group NNS and businessman Wes Edens, will immediately inject significant investment capital into the Club. At the same time, Dr Tony Xia will become Co-Chairman and remain on the board.
The capital injection and transaction have been approved by the EFL and the parties will work through all confirmatory approvals required by the EFL as soon as possible.
The Club’s management remain focused on strengthening the squad and are fully aligned with the new investors who are supportive of their ambitions.
Dr Tony Xia and the Club are energised and excited about their interactions with Nassef and Wes and their teams and are confident that as strategic partners they bring exceptional business, sport and leisure expertise that will enhance the Club’s future prospects. The parties look forward to working in partnership to drive Aston Villa forward to success.
Dr Tony Xia commented: “I am extremely pleased to have formed a strategic partnership with Nassef and Wes. We have a common goal of delivering future success for Aston Villa and I look forward to working together to achieve this aim.
“To have come so close to achieving promotion last season was a humbling experience. In finding such strong partners as Nassef and Wes we’re gearing up to fight again and bring back the success that this Club deserves and we all so want to provide it with.
“The future is exciting on a number of fronts and I look forward to exploring further business collaborations.”
Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens commented: “As lifelong football fans, we are excited and privileged to have become part of this great Club. We believe that together we bring business and sports experience that will help strengthen the Club to ensure Aston Villa can return to its rightful place in the upper echelons of English football.
“Our goal is to bring sustainable success to the Club, building on its rich history while respecting its loyal fan base and unique culture. We understand that we are stewards of Aston Villa on behalf of the fans and we take that responsibility seriously.
“We look forward to working with Dr Tony to undertake a thorough assessment and evaluation of the Club in the coming weeks and our priority is to strengthen the squads and structures ahead of the upcoming season and beyond.”
NSWE is a company that is jointly owned and controlled by businessman Nassef Sawiris’ group NNS and businessman Wes Edens.
- Nassef Sawiris is CEO of OCI N.V., a €5.3bn Dutch-listed global nitrogen fertilizer and industrial chemicals producer
- He is also Executive Chairman of the topco for the NNS Group, a prominent investment company focused on building long-term strategic equity stakes in high growth, sector leading companies
- NNS is a significant shareholder in adidas AG and Nassef has been on the Board of adidas AG since 2016
- NNS is also a major shareholder in Bruins Sports Capital, a US Private Equity firm exclusively focused on the sports industry
- Bruins Sports Capital was established to acquire, build and invest in media, sports, marketing and branded lifestyle companies
- Nassef is 57 years old and is a citizen of Egypt and Belgium
- Nassef is a huge football fan and has been since he was a child
Wes R. Edens
- Wes Edens is a co-founder and co-CEO of Fortress Investment Group, a global investment manager
- Fortress was founded in 1998 with $400m of assets under management and Wes and team have grown this to c. $40.9bn AUM, as at 31 March 2018
- Wes is also founder and Chairman of New Fortress Energy, a global energy infrastructure company and Brightline, the new privately-owned express passenger train connecting Florida’s major cities
- Wes became co-owner of the Milwaukee Bucks basketball franchise in 2014
- Bucks delivered 26-game turnaround in 2014/15 season combined with fourth largest year-on-year increase in ticket sales across NBA
- Since Wes’ ownership, Bucks have made playoffs three out of four seasons and secured first back-to-back winning seasons since 1999
- He led efforts to deliver a new arena for the city and team and will be opening the $524m Wisconsin Entertainment & Sports Center, opening in late August 2018
- Wes created eSports franchise, FlyQuest, in 2017 to compete North America League of Legends Championship Series (NA LCS)
- Wes is 56 years old and lives in the US
- Wes is a big sports fan and a keen follower of English football