Friday media watch [14.02.14 AM]: Albrighton in determined mood
Birmingham Mail: Marc Albrighton admits he is unsure where his future lies - but has vowed to impress Villa boss Paul Lambert by taking his chances for the rest of the season. With five just months of his claret and blue contract remaining, the 24-year-old winger has burst into the first-team frame to give Lambert a timely dilemma. Lambert has pledged to discuss a new contract with Albrighton, who has started six matches and made six substitutes for Villa so far this season. But the Bodymoor Heath academy graduate insists he will continue to let his football do the talking rather than knocking on the manager's door for talks.
FourFourTwo: Marc Albrighton wants an extended run in Aston Villa's starting line-up after being recalled for Tuesday's 0-0 draw at Cardiff City. The winger lost his way after being plagued by injury problems in the last two seasons and was loaned out to Wigan Athletic in October. Albrighton returned in November having played only four times for the Championship club and the 24-year-old has since made 10 appearances in the Premier League. The academy graduate started his fourth top-flight game of the campaign in the match at the Cardiff City Stadium after impressing in a substitute role against West Ham at the weekend, and he is determined to play a more prominent role under manager Paul Lambert.
Clubcall: Paul Lambert has warned his Aston Villa players their warm-weather trip to Portugal is "not a holiday" and they will be working hard. The Villa chief has organised the six-day trip away from the club's Bodymoor Heath training ground as the side are not in action until their televised trip to Newcastle on Sunday February 23 due to them not being involved in the FA Cup fifth round this weekend. Lambert has dismissed claims that the players are being rewarded for being knocked out of the cup by League One Sheffield United and insisted that it will be a normal week of training, but just in a different environment.
Sky Sports: Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has confirmed that there are plans for a 'B' league to come into existence. The new league would replace the current Under-21 league format, and would be for Under-23 players with four over age players allowed. The league would involve the same teams that are in the Under-21 league - which is those who are classed as category one in the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP).
Best of the Rest
BBC Sport: England manager Roy Hodgson says it will be difficult for Chelsea left-back Ashley Cole to secure a place in his starting XI at this summer's World Cup. Cole, 33, has failed to command a regular spot for the Blues this season, while facing pressure from Everton's Leighton Baines for his England shirt.
Sky Sports: Football Association general secretary Alex Horne says Roy Hodgson has done a 'brilliant' job with England and will remain at the helm until at least 2016. The FA has thrown its weight behind the national coach before a ball has been kicked in anger at this summer's World Cup.
BBC Sport: Plans to increase the capacity of Manchester City's stadium from 48,000 to about 62,000 have been approved. The Premier League club is adding a third tier to the North and South stands. These will each include about 6,250 seats, and a further 2,000 pitch-side seats will be added.
*The extracts on this page are taken from various newspapers and media outlets. They do not necessarily reflect the views of Aston Villa.
Adobe Flash Plug-in Needed
This website requires a Adobe Flash plug-in. Please download the latest version of the Flash plug-in by clicking here