Thursday media watch [28.01.16]
The Telegraph: Aston Villa are making another appeal to the Football Association on Thursday in a desperate bid to sign Croatia international Lovre Kalinic. Villa are determined to complete the signing of Hajduk Split goalkeeper Kalinic before the transfer window closes and will submit a second appeal, after a work permit was rejected last week. Kalinic, 25, will cost around £4.9million and Rémi Garde wants to make him the club's new No 1, with Villa now prepared to let Brad Guzan leave on loan.
The Sun: Philippe Senderos has had his Aston Villa deal terminated by mutual consent six months early. The Swiss flop, 30, made just nine Villa appearances since his arrival in June 2014.
Birmingham Mail: Villa are still keep to shift players out before the transfer window shuts on Monday. The club will listen to offers for winger Charles N'Zogbia, who is training with the U21s while Gabby Agbonlahor is also thought to be another player Villa are willing to let leave if the right offer is received. Villa have already cancelled Tiago Ilori's loan and allowed Jose Angel Crespo and Joe Bennett to depart in search for regular game time, while the club last night announced that Swiss defender Philippe Senderos has had his contract cancelled by mutual consent.
Birmingham Mail: Former Villa No.2 Peter Grant has labelled the supporters 'delusional' for criticising the club's fall from grace. Grant was assistant manager to Alex McLeish in 2011/12 as Villa endured the second of five successive seasons battling against the drop. Budget cuts and the loss of senior players at the club were to blame for McLeish's disappointing tenure at Villa Park, according to his right-hand man, who believes the continued changes since his departure have made life increasingly difficult for whoever is in charge.
Birmingham Mail Online: Walsall's Rico Henry is causing a stir in League One as he continues to impress at left-back for the Saddlers. A number of clubs, including Aston Villa, have watched the 18-year-old this season and at the end of the campaign the teenager is expected to have plenty of offers to weigh up. Villa will face serious competition from the Premier League's big-boys to land Henry, but why are so many clubs interested in his services?
Best of the Rest
BBC Sport: Everton manager Roberto Martinez was left fuming at what he said was a "hurtful and unfair" exit at the hands of Manchester City in the Capital One Cup. City will meet Liverpool in the final at Wembley on 28 February after a 3-1 victory at the Etihad Stadium gave them a 4-3 aggregate win against the Toffees. Martinez, however, was upset that the match officials failed to spot Raheem Sterling had run the ball out of play before crossing for Kevin de Bruyne to score City's second with a thrilling game poised at 1-1. That scoreline would have sent Everton to Wembley to face their arch-rivals.
Sky Sports: Emmanuel Adebayor has admitted he will need to use Google to find out more about his new club Crystal Palace. Adebayor signed a short-term deal with the Eagles on Tuesday, which ended a five-month spell without a club for the 31-year-old former Arsenal, Manchester City and Tottenham striker. But the Togo international revealed he has a bit of homework to do in order to get up to speed on Palace.
BBC Sport: Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini thinks Kevin de Bruyne will play again this season after the midfielder injured his right knee in the League Cup semi-final win over Everton. The 24-year-old Belgium international - and £55m club record signing - changed the game from the bench but fell awkwardly in injury time. "I'm optimistic he won't be out for the rest of the season," Pellegrini said. "We'll see how important the damage is. It's not the cruciate ligament."
*The extracts on this page are taken from various newspapers and media outlets. They do not necessarily reflect the views of Aston Villa.