Saturday media watch [23.01.16]
Daily Express: Rémi Garde says he will not complain if Aston Villa fail to add to a squad deep in relegation trouble this month. Garde, whose side are bottom of the Premier League, 10 points adrift of safety, says he is not planning to moan, despite new chairman Steve Hollis and chief executive Tom Fox telling angry fans - desperate for improvements to be made to save their club - on Thursday that they will not spend big in January. "I'm not here to complain about this kind of thing," said the Frenchman, whose side travel to West Brom today.
Daily Star: Rémi Garde says he won't moan if Aston Villa fail to land new signings this month. Boss Garde insists he will not complain if he ends the transfer window with the same players who have taken the club to the foot of the Premier League. New chairman Steve Hollis and chief executive Tom Fox told angry fans on Thursday that the club will not splash the cash in a bid to buy themselves out of trouble. But ahead of today's crunch derby at West Brom the Frenchman said: "I'm not here to complain about this kind of thing. "I have to assess the team since I came and recommend the players and areas where we could improve the team. "It's my job to give the recommendations to the board and chief executive and it's their job to work on the financial part."
Birmingham Mail: Rémi Garde has repeated his frustration at failing to strengthen Aston Villa's squad with just over a week of the transfer window remaining. Garde has so far drawn a blank in his attempts to recruit reinforcements to the bolster the relegation-threatened claret and blues. The Villa boss admits the club's position propping up the Premier League has made it particularly difficult to attract the right calibre of player. "In our position it is especially difficult to attract players and we are still working on it and hopefully we will have one or two signings before the end," he said.
EuroSport: Aston Villa's position adrift at the bottom of the Barclays Premier League is making it difficult to attract new signings, according to manager Rémi Garde. But the Frenchman will not give up trying to get the club's targets to look at the bigger picture, as the likelihood of relegation to the Sky Bet Championship has so far put off players. Frustrated Villa fans, with their team 10 points from safety, pleaded with chief executive Tom Fox at the Supporters' Trust AGM on Thursday night to get some transfer business done this month in order to help give the club a fighting chance of pulling off a miracle escape. Fox said Villa had been ''holding conversations'' with a number of players but, because they are in the ''most difficult position in the Premier League'', they are largely having trouble persuading them to come to Villa Park. Garde understands the predicament and says he would ''not complain about this kind of thing'' if it transpired that the transfer window closed on February 1 and he had to complete the campaign with the players he already has.
Daily Telegraph: Rémi Garde is growing increasingly frustrated over Aston Villa's failure to bring in new players, after a £4.9m deal for Lovre Kalinic collapsed. The manager's attempt to sign the Hajduk Split goalkeeper has been scrapped after a work permit was rejected, to leave him yet to make his first signing. Kalinic, a Croatia international, was set to join Villa earlier this week but the work permit and a subsequent appeal were both thrown out to deal another blow to Garde's hopes of signing a new keeper. Villa's move for Arsenal defender Mathieu Debuchy is also under threat after it emerged Bayer Leverkusen have launched a bid to sign the France international. Debuchy's loan fee of around £1.25m is also proving a stumbling block for Villa's board, who are reluctant to spend as they prepare for likely relegation to the Championship.
Birmingham Mail: Aston Villa have missed out on another two transfer targets leaving boss Rémi Garde increasingly frustrated. The club received news that goalkeeper Lovre Kalinic's work permit would not be sanctioned as a £3m move from Hajduk Split edged nearer, and an appeal is also thought to have been rejected. With ten points separating Villa and 17th-place, the club are now only focusing on landing a new stopper and a striker, so a move for Bordeaux defender Lamine Sane is also off. Missing out on Kalinic is a huge blow given that Villa had scouted him extensively and selected him as the top goalkeeper target ahead of a number of others.
Daily Mirror: Rémi Garde has assured his Aston Villa critics: "I know what I am doing". The club's hierarchy have publicly confirmed there is little cash for new signings, with Villa rooted to the foot of the table and 10 points from safety. But beleaguered manager Garde has been buoyed by a four-game unbeaten run in the league and FA Cup for the Premier League basement outfit. Four points from two home games in the top flight against Crystal Palace and Leicester, including November appointment Garde's first win at the 11th attempt, have at least given Villa some hope. They are also into the fourth round of the FA Cup, at home to Manchester City, after finally overcoming League Two Wycombe in midweek in a replay at home.
Sky Sports: Aston Villa manager Rémi Garde has told Micah Richards he will not just walk straight back into the team now he is fit again - despite being captain. Richards, who was brought back to England in the summer by former boss Tim Sherwood after a season in Italy with Fiorentina, faces a fight to regain his place in the side after Villa earned four points from the two Premier League matches he was absent.
Best of the Rest
BBC Sport: Manchester United and England winger Ashley Young faces "a long time" out with a serious groin injury, manager Louis van Gaal has confirmed. The 30-year-old, who needs an operation, was injured in last Sunday's 1-0 win over Liverpool at Anfield.
Sky Sports: Sunderland have signed former Newcastle goalkeeper Steve Harper on a deal until the end of the season. The 40-year-old has been brought in as cover for Vito Mannone and Jordan Pickford following Costel Pantilimon's move to Watford.
BBC Sport: Goalline technology will be used at Euro 2016 and in the knockout stages of the Champions League from next season, Uefa has announced. The executive committee of European football's governing body voted in favour of the change on Friday.
*The extracts on this page are taken from various newspapers and media outlets. They do not necessarily reflect the views of Aston Villa.